Saturday, July 13, 2013

How to Drink Your Single Malt

HOW TO DRINK YOUR SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY

Some of you might go "come on maaannn, who do you think we are!?". However, I would love to see an article about it a year ago when I didn't know much about the single malt culture.

Once on Facebook, I saw a friend on mine drinking a good 12-year old Macallan mixed with Coke. I almost cried. Mix it if you want. I am not gonna tell you what to do. But, if you wanna mix something with Coke, you don't have to spend bunch of money. Buy a good ol' Dewars or Ballentine's and do all the mixing you want.

Most of the single malts have been matured in the oak casks for more than 10 years. There is a lot of effort that was put into that. Some of the people who poured that mixture into that oak cask that we might currently be enjoying are no longer alive. So, you wanna get every bit of the taste. So, here are my recommendations:

Whisky Rocks:


I don't mix my single malt with anything; not even ice cubes. My wife got me those whisky rocks from Chapters on Christmas and I have been using them.


I put them in a Ziplock bag and am keeping them in the freezer. Since they are marbles, they keep the cold quite some time. I put about 4 of them into my single malt and enjoy my chilled single malt with those rocks. 

Water Jugs:

Since the single malt you are about to enjoy has been kept in a cask for 10 years or more, nothing has been added into it for 10 years or more. It means that it is very potent. In order to break the taste around, whisky drinkers recommend couple drops of distilled water into your whisky. That will break the flavors so we can enjoy them more and taste them better. 




Whisky Tasting Glasses:


I use good ol' Brandy cups for this. The glasses should be tight on top and wide on the bottom so when you nose your whisky, you can smell the wide range of flavors coming towards the tops. So, recommended whisky glasses are shown below:



Conclusion:


Try nosing your whisky for about half a minute to two minutes. Try to smell as much aromas and other spices as you can. Play a guessing game with yourself, or partner or your spouse. then, check online or the label of the bottle if you got any. Then, start sipping your drink. Those rocks will keep your drink chilled while they keep your whisky pure. After your first sip, drop couple water drops into your whisky glas and taste it again. Repeat this 3-5 times every 15 minutes. And you will have start noticing the effects ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment